leaderboard test

Tomato Chutney


In India tomato prices sometimes make people wonder if tomatoes have to categorized  in the 'luxury list'. But otherwise tomato chutney is a staple accompaniment for idli or dosa. Even in my grave i cannot forget the taste of my mom's tomato chutney. And finally now i know how to exactly replicate the recipe. i am still missing my mom's love from the ingredients list here. :(
There is not a single time during my visit to my parents, that my mom does not make this yummy thakaali chutney. 
Reminds my MOM :)

Ingredients:

Tomatoes 3 medium
Onion 1 big
Red chillies 5/6
Garlic pod 1 optional
Salt 1/2 to 1 tsp

To temper: 
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Urad dal 1/2 tsp
Red chilli 1 or 2
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Oil 1 tsp

How To:

  1. Chop equal amounts of onion and tomatoes.
  2. Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan in medium flame. Add onion and saute cor 2 minutes.
  3. Add tomatoes, red chillies, garlic pod and salt. Saute for about 5 to 10minutes in medium flame.
  4. Allow it cool well. Once cooled blend the mix with 1 tblsp of water if needed. At first, you can remove 2 or 3 chillies and then blend. If needed you can add it later.
  5. Heat oil in a small pan in medium flame and add mustard. Once it splutters add urad dal, red chilli, curry leaves. Do not let it burn. Switch off the flame and add it to the chutney.


Tangy tomato chutney is ready. Sometimes you can add tamarind to the mix to increase tanginess. But add very little.

This is my first recipe to the even Cooking with Red at Merry Tummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment