- Wash the brussel sprouts and cut off the stem. Remove yellow leaves if any.
- Cut them into 3 or 4 pieces and keep aside.
- Chop onion and tomato.
- Dry roast and grind the items without burning them. If they get burned redo another batch as the burnt spices makes the dish bitter
- Add oil to a pan in medium flame. Add mustard seeds and once they splutter add the remaining items to temper one by one. Add onions and after about 2 minutes add tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes soften which takes about 2minutes, add the spice powders and mix well.
- After a minute or two, add the sprouts and mix well. Sprinkle some salt on top. This takes the moisture out of the sprouts which helps in the mixing.
- You need not sprinkle water. The sprouts will get cooked in less than 10 - 13 minutes in medium flame.
- Make sure the dish is not dry and mix it regularly and check for 'kaaram' or spiciness and salt.
- Once the brussels are cooked, you can add coconut and switch off the flame.