- Wash the brinjals / eggplants / kathiri kaai and cut them into tiny pieces and put them in water.
- Cut onions, tomatoes, potato into tiny bits and add to a cookware with lid.
- Remove brinjals from water and add to it. Add the spice powders, red chillies, castor oil. Do not add salt now.
- Add half a cup of water and close the lid and boil in medium flame.
- After 5 minutes check for enough water. Add salt and little water if needed. The dish should not be watery.
- Close the lid and let it cook for 5 more minutes. See if the brinjals have cooked.
- Now add 1 tblsp of grated fresh coconut if you need. This is optional.
- Add oil in a small pan in medium flame. Add mustard and wait for it to splutter. Add onions, curry leaves.
- After about 2 minutes add the tadka to the dish and add salt if needed.