- dry roast the kollu paruppu for about 10 minutes and soak in water for an hour
- boil the kollu with 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, peppercorns and salt
- in a pan heat 1 tsp oil and add corriander seeds, red chillies, curry leaves.
- roast for 2 minutes and then add onion and garlic. fry in medium flame for 5 minutes.
- after it cools, mix it with the boiled kollu.
- blend into a coarse paste using a blender. you can blend it in batches to avoid blending the whole thing into a mushy paste.
- heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. after it crackles add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and add this tadka to the mix. You can even add a portion of the onion to the tadka if you need little crunchiness while eating.
- chutney is ready.
|Texture of thogaiyal|